Pages

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Side-Table Building Tutorial by Not JUST a Housewife

Please welcome a guest-poster for today... STACY!

Hi! I am Stacy from Not JUST A Housewife and I am so happy to be here guest-posting on Craftily Ever After :) One of the things I love to do is build furniture. Today I am going to show you how to build a simple side table.


I bought a board that measured 18" by 36". I measured and then drew a line down the middle so I would have 2 table tops measuring 18" by 18". You obviously only need one, but I was planning on making a bunch for my esty store. I used a jig saw to cut the wood.

Then I used 1"x4" boards for the front. I wanted there to be a 1 inch lip or overhang so I measured and cut 2 boards 16 inches long. That is one inch taken off for each side.


Then, since 2 of the boards will go inside the other two boards to form a box, you need to subtract the width of 2 boards together. In this case, 1 1/2 inches. So the second 2 boards I cut were 14 1/2 inches.


Do you see how 2 of the 1x4s fit inside the other 2? That is why 2 needed to be shorter.


Add a little wood glue and then use a brad nail gun.


The next step is to determine how high you want your table. I wanted mine 2 feet tall. I cut some 2"x2"s for the legs. Add some wood glue and then nail them into the corners of your box. It is very important to make sure it is flat before nailing on the legs. If the legs are not flush with the top of the box then your table top will not lay flat on your base.


Your base is almost done :) You just need to add some 1"x1" to help hold the top on. Measure in between the legs and then cut your 1x1 that size.


Add some glue and nails. Do this all the way around the base - all four sides.


Then add glue to the top of the base, flip it over onto the table top, and nail through the 1x1. This will attach the top to the base.


You will need to fill the nail holes with putty. Pick one that is sandable so you can sand it smooth when it dries. I HIGHLY recommend Elmers stainable, paintable and sandable wood putty. Not only do I sand where I added putty, but I sand the whole thing. Especially the edges and corners. I try to round them a little. Use a fine grit sand paper or you will end up with lines (scratch marks) in your wood.



I painted mine and then (this is optional) sanded it to give it that shabby chic look. I love that! You can see it a little in the close-up shots. It looks better in person, but you get the idea :)






You could use it as a bedside table, in a kid's room, next to a sofa, as a plant stand, or pretty much anywhere! Thank you Jessica for letting me share this today! Come visit me at my blog anytime for more ideas.
*******

I am VERY impressed at this furniture-making business! Cutting wood, nail guns, putty- all of that is out of my comfort zone but this tutorial makes me think maybe I should try it! I could use some extra cute (and cheap!) tables around my house! (And don't you love the color she painted hers?!) Thanks for the tutorial Stacy! :)

11 comments:

  1. Super cute and that color is gorgeous! I have been telling my husband I want a jig zaw for "crafting"... I'll have to show him this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am still intimidated by my power tools. I finally just used my dremmel this christmas to make some ornaments. Uggg, U go Girl!! Come link this Tute up on Tut'n Tuesday!!

    http://bestpartofbelieveis.blogspot.com/2010/12/tutn-tuesday-after-christmas-edition.html

    thx~ Nikki

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! The color is great too.. one of my favorites! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So impressive!!! You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done! Love the color you chose too - it's fabulous! I wish I was that hands-on!
    Happy new year!
    Jeanine

    ReplyDelete
  6. So very happy I found your blog! Stopping by from the Paisley Passions blog hop! Consider me your newest and happiest follower :)

    Wishing you a wonderful 2011!

    - Meg

    [Life of Meg]
    www.megnificentlife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loving this color!! :) Just stopping by from www.trashybetty.com :) -M

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great custom building of a furniture, thumbs up for your creativity.. i like it!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad I came across this! I'm wanting to make a simple table for my kitchen. I'm going to use your tutorial and just make the top a bit wider. Thanks for the great how to.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete